Thursday, February 26, 2009

Thankful Thursday

If you read Mom’s blog, you will have seen that one of my closest friends, Ryan, died two weeks ago. I’ve been having a very hard time dealing with it.
Last week was February Vacation and I went to California for some college visits and family fun. Keeping busy kept Ryan off my mind for the most part. I don’t think I fully believed that he had died.
But coming back home has made it more real. All that time just sitting gives you a lot of time to think. I’ve spent that thinking time thinking about Ryan, which makes me sad. Sad is the understatement of the millennium.
My best friend here, nickname: Tris, has been very supportive, he’s always ready at a moments notice to drop everything and make me feel better, as is his duty. Boyo P has tried being supportive, but I don’t think he really knows how to. The principal, codename: Mr. Mario, and my guidance counselor, codename: He Who Listens, have both been really helpful to me. But that is their job.
The other day in math I was very upset. I was feeling lost, alone and vulnerable. Moses, codename for math teacher, was pushing me to answer some stupid question about something I wasn’t paying attention to and didn’t ever want to pay attention to, seeing as it was useless information that I will never need or feel inclined to use. And I told him so, which was probably not a smart move, but he was disrupting my mourning process and that is rude. Then this girl, DirtySkankHo, (that is a well earned name, as she is, in fact, a dirty skank ho, and a queen bee which is the pleasant way to say rich b***h) says in her snottiest tone to me: Why are you in such a bad mood?
But she said it like, “Why don’t you go back to Hickville where you belong?”
And I said back: Why are you so nosy?
Except for I said it like, “You wanna go? Because I will rip out all of your perfect hair Hickville style.”
I hate DSH. Really. Anyways, she still had me fuming in Spanish.
That’s when this boy, Jamin, that I barely knew and have hardly ever spoken to, sat down next to me and said, “ElleBee, are you okay? You seem really stressed and upset. And you don’t usually act out in math like that. Is there anything I can do to help you?”
Jamin doesn’t know but just coming to ask me what was wrong was enough for me. Where I live you’d be hard pressed to find a stranger to comfort you when you’re upset. This Thankful Thursday I am thankful for Jamin, for being the stranger that noticed, that means the world to me.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds to me like Jamin is a gift from God.
    And you know what would have (possibly, anyhow) shut up DSH? "One of my closest friends just died, and I'm feeling sad, IF THAT'S OKAY WITH YOU."
    (sarcasm there in all caps) But *sigh* that is probably not a good Christian response.
    [bows out humbly over lack of good Christian response]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can just picture you saying that to DSH. As a mother I must tell you that you need to take the high road. As not YOUR mother I must tell you that I wish I would have been there to see it!

    It's a tough thing you have to go through--I'm thankful Jamin is there for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG.. but luckily you did not rip out her hair b/c that would have been so unlady like but a little funny at the same time. I hope you pronounce Jamin like Elliot Yamin you sang that one song that I liked. orrrr.. like Jammin' that one song by Bob Marley. That is also good. Good for Jamin. I like him. At least most people are being supportive and understanding. It's one of those times you figure out who really cares about you for sure. Nakupenda niecey.

    ReplyDelete